I’m so excited everyone because I’m actually going to one of the craziest countries that I know of… JAPAN!
So I’ve been fed with a good amount of Anime back when I was young. I was one of those kids who couldn’t wait to get home and watch the latest episode of Fushigi Yuugi (what was my mom thinking??), Akazukin Chacha, Rurounin Kenshin, etc. and my knowledge of Japan started here. And as I grew up and learned more about Japan through Nintendo games, Pokemon, and weird Japanese commercials, I knew that I had to go here someday.
Will only be going to Tokyo due to time constraints this April 12-19 and a side travel to Shibazakura festival, Mt. Fuji and Fuji-Q, but I really hope 8 days is enough for me (who am I kidding, course not) and my college friend to cover at least… um the basics?
Must visits include Harajuku, Akihabara, Odaiba (science museum & onsen), Shibuya, Shinjuku, Meiji Shrine, Ghibli Museum, Ginza, flea markets here and there… but I don’t know. Am I missing something?
Especially for restaurants! Tokyo is the capital of food gastronomy and the food quality is incomparable to other countries. It hosts the most number of Michelin starred restaurants and if you’re feeling local, you can check out Tablelog’s dependable reviews to find a restaurant to your fancy. Because of this impromptu decision to go to Japan (there was a seat sale at Jetstar. How can I say no to 6,000php roundtrip Tokyo ticket), I couldn’t get in my must try restaurants because they require 2-3 months of reservation in advance. Namely..
1. Jimbocho Den – Moden and whimsical take of the kaiseki style Japanese dining. The style hails from Kyoto and is a degustation type of setting. I will be missing these dishes though I hope to be able to visit next time (YES THERE WILL BE A NEXT TOKYO TRIP even though I haven’t even set foot in Tokyo).
2. Sushi Saito – Tablelog users have rated this the #1 Sushi restaurant in Tokyo (Jiro from Jiro Dreams of Sushi has been dethroned long ago) and therefore in my mind, the world’s best sushi restaurant. I will definitely definitely go back just for this so I swear on my sushi and sashimi loving stomach!
Now, for the sure list:
- Midori Sushi – A starter sushi restaurant. Not too shabby and not too wow. Just right.
- Kurogi – Replacement of Jimbocho Den’s but equally as good for a Kaiseki restaurant. It’s the current 5th place in Tablelog now.
- Steakhouse Satou – Can anybody please say Matsusaka beef? It’s the renowned beef in Osaka region and we’ve got it here in Tokyo. My desire to eat the best beef makes this a must visit restaurant.
- Kyubey – Another sushi restaurant but with higher class than Midori. My best friend swears by this place and I trust her judgement. Because I am in Tokyo, I shall eat sushi almost everyday. I NEED TO.
- Nakajima – One of the world’s cheapest Michelin starred restaurant. This is to heed the call of our aching wallets that we must dine somewhere more affordable. And of course getting good food at such an affordable price is a dream come true!
So far those are the restaurants that I have on my list. I will be visiting some themed cafes like owl cafes specifically Akiba Fukurou in Akihabara and maybe Robot Restaurant (can anyone tell me if it’s worth it?) but they’re not really popular for their delicacy and food so I am always open for suggestions when it comes to the food.
What are your must try restaurants in Tokyo or anywhere in Japan? Do let me know in the comments. Will definitely write a blog post per restaurant when I get to Tokyo next month. That’s a guarantee!